Thursday, January 15, 2009

Westboro Freaks

I have been thinking about how to approach a conversation with its members after reviewing the Westboro Baptist Church website on Tuesday. In all reality it would take a bit of soul-searching about how to communicate with people that have very, very little in common with myself.
First, I think it would behoove me to approach the conversation as a listener instead of an argument. Being a combative person, this would initially be a challenge for me. But, to truly listen to someone, it is best to remain quiet and try to relate to something they are saying.
Also, my personal stance on their key issues would cause trouble because I am a very liberal gay man. Thus it would be way too easy to get into a fight with these people.
I have friends of all political parties and when I know a disagreement could ensue, I try to see their point of view and listen to what they have to say. Everyone has their reasons for why they feel. Who am I to judge someone else for feeing they way they do? Unfortunately members of the Westboro church do not take that same approach…
I live my life very open, but in this situation I might remain mum about anything personal to keep them from feeling defensive. No, this is not the approach I normally take. Because they are very open about their feelings, I think they would be rather forthcoming in an interview. People who are willing to protest in public normally don’t have any qualms about talking to a vehicle that could further publicize their opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment